The Maritime Resource Survey had a two-fold purpose: a survey and inventory of historic, maritime-related properties; and an identification of physical needs related to surveyed properties. This project allowed Artifacts staff to survey and research maritime properties along the Salish Sea and Washington’s Outer Coast from Whatcom County in the north to Grays Harbor County in the south. We surveyed 2,300 miles of shoreline by land and sea and completed 500 historic property inventory (HPI) forms to include a sampling of historic maritime-related properties within this dynamic region.
GIS mapping played a critical role in research methodology and data collection. Artifacts staff utilized GIS mapping to sift through survey areas to identify potential survey properties and areas prior to field work. Map layers in GIS, including geo-referenced historic charts and maps, parcel data from county Assessors, and contemporary aerial images, proved invaluable in this predictive modeling process. As a result, Artifacts inventoried over 450 buildings, 24 objects, 30 sits, and 18 structures to include in the state’s Historic Property Inventory (HPI) database. Artifacts completed this project, funded by a Preserve America grant, for the Washington State Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP).
Following the completion of this project, Artifacts staff members coordinated a panel presentation for the 2012 National Preservation Conference in Spokane, Washington. Divided into 3 portions, the panel featured a presentation from Debra Meisner of the Squaxin Tribe on the annual Canoe Journey event, an overview of the maritime resource survey and its associated GIS mapping, and a discussion with Allyson Brooks, the State Historic Preservation Officer for Washington State, on the proposed National Maritime Heritage Area for the region.
Share This Page
Ca. 1940 view of the Port Townsend waterfront from a departing ferry
One of seventeen extant net sheds on the Gig Harbor waterfront, the Skansie Net Shed is associated with Andrew and Bertha Skansie who constructed the net shed in ca. 1920 adjacent to their home.