King Street Station provided the grand entrance to Seattle for two transcontinental railways, the Great Northern Railway and the Northern Pacific Railway. For generations of rail passengers, the depots prominent tower and ornate public spaces served as landmark and transportation hub. Built in 1906, the depot served as the principal Pacific coast terminal and point of departure for travelers headed to the Midwest and Atlantic.
Artifacts proudly served as the preservation consultants on this monumental project, which not only restored the building’s grand spaces and retained the building as the point of entry for Amtrak and light rail serving over 4 million rail passengers annually, but also received a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) platinum building certification. Furthermore, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) selected the project as a case study to guide similar rehabilitation projects nationwide.
This important and highly visible landmark structure is a Section 4(f) property listed individually (1973) in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) and as a contributing member in the Pioneer Square-Skid Road NRHP and City of Seattle listed historic district.