The two-story Haller House is a contributing property in the Central Whidbey Island National Register of Historic Places district. The Haller House – named for Colonel Granville Haller – occupies a prominent lot overlooking Penn Cove at the east end of Coupeville’s downtown. The territorial-era building contains two of the rarest building construction methods: vertical plank (or box construction) and balloon framing. The oldest portion of the house dates from 1859, with a kitchen added prior to 1866, followed by a two-story addition constructed for the Hallers in 1866. The site not only contains the remarkably intact territorial-era residence, but also the grounds, which are a rare example of an intact, mature late 19th Century and early 20th Century residential landscape.
Artifacts conducted a survey of the house alongside Historic Whidbey volunteers to document character-defining features and spaces. The completed HSR provides an understanding of the building as a rare territorial era building and serves as a development and planning tool.
Share This Page
View of the north facade of the Haller House, looking south from Front Street
View of the south elevation of the oldest (Brunn) portion of the house along with mature landscape elements.
View of the west room on the first floor.
Doors on the first floor of the Haller House feature faux-finishing to mimic oak, a more expensive and higher-end material.
Historic view of downtown Coupeville, looking east. The Haller House is visible in the background above the roofline of the building with the handwritten "1868." Photograph courtesy of the State Library Photograph Collection, 1851-1990, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov.