PROJECT DETAIL

Furuya & Corgiat Buildings - Investment Tax Credits

Certified rehabilitation on two historic buildings in Seattle’s Pioneer Square National Register Historic District.

The Furuya and Corgiat are adjacent buildings in the Pioneer Square neighborhood in Seattle. The Furuya, constructed in 1900 in the Romanesque Revival style, stands at the northeast corner of Second Avenue S. and S. Main Street. The Corgiat, constructed in 1900, abuts the L-shaped Furuya to the west and the north.

Originally called the Baker Building, the Furuya Building was constructed as a two-story building (with plans for an additional three stories) by Charles H. Baker to serve as a substation for the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company. The three additional stories were added to the building around 1905. At some point between 1943 and ca. 1946, the top two stories were removed. Although constructed as a substation, the building quickly proved inadequate for the power company’s needs and was converted to commercial use. The M. Furuya Co., a Japanese import/export business owned and operated by prominent businessman Masajiro Furuya, then moved into the building between 1904 and 1905. Furuya purchased the building in 1917. The Corgiat Building, designed by architect Robert L. Robertson, operated as a single-room occupancy (SRO) hotel, primarily the Hotel Main, with retail spaces on the ground floor.

Artifacts completed and submitted the application for the 20-percent tax credit to the National Park Service, guiding the rehabilitation to maintain compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. Work on the Furuya and Corgiat Buildings began in 2008 and continued into 2009 and included a seismic retrofit, new mechanical, electrical, and fire/life safety systems, as well as the reconstruction of the missing fourth and fifth stories of the Furuya Building. The buildings now feature offices on the upper floors and retail spaces on the ground floor.





« BACK TO MAIN PAGE

Share This Page

Bookmark and Share

Furuya, 1937
Furuya, 1937

1937 view of the Furuya Building with the Corgiat visible to the right. Note all five stories are present on the Furuya.

Corgiat, 1938
Corgiat, 1938

1938 view of the Corgiat Building, Furuya visible to the left

Furuya, 1956
Furuya, 1956

1956 view of the Furuya Building. Note the removal of the upper two stories.

Furuya & Corgiat, 2007
Furuya & Corgiat, 2007

View of the Furuya & Corgiat Buildings prior to rehabilitation

Furuya & Corgiat, 2011
Furuya & Corgiat, 2011

View of the Furuya & Corgiat Buildings following the rehabilitation and the reconstruction of the Furuya's upper two floors.